Everyone goes through different seasons in their walk with God, we have seasons of growth, seasons of correction and seasons of blessings etc. Usually we place certain expectations like a promotion , breakthrough or acceleration in our lives . But what people fail to realize is that God has His own expectations of you in each new season.For instance, when there is a new season you need to offer up a new sacrifice to God whether it be making your relationship with Him a bigger priority in your life(spending more time in His presence etc) , Money (tithes and offerings) or just you being used as a vessel. There are also seasons where we feel spiritually dry and stagnant, like we’re no longer growing in Christ and we can barely hear His voice. This is known as a Dry Season or as I like to the call it Season in the wilderness. We all go through so rest assured you’re not alone.
Here’s a couple things that you need to know about this season
1. You can wander and not be lost.
– Now you’re still saved let’s be clear on that but now you’ve entered a place where you search for God in a different way. This is the time where you no longer have the comfort of your routines, or what you are be used to. As humans we tend to be creatures of habit, so we have a
set routine where we may wake up and pray for like 5 minutes and read a devotional and that’s it. But when you enter into this season God is expecting a new sacrifice, a new thing. So your focus has to be more on God and less on the things that don’t benefit you or your growth. He may lead you to do things differently. For example, He might change the way you pray, read the Word, or even fellowship with Him. Listen, God is always moving and doing something new in your life so be attentive to where and what He’s trying to do
2. God is molding you!
P roverbs 15:32 – He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
– There are areas in your life that can be blocking your ability to hear God such as sin, lack of intimacy with Him, and distractions (worries, boys, girls,etc). Often times people just tell you to pray but don’t really explain why it is that you need to. Prayer is communion/communication with God it’s how we speak to Him on daily basis. When we pray often times God reveals that there’s something more He is trying to do in you.
The reason why God is silent can be to make you more aware of yourself, your flaws and what you may lack. This is not to make you feel bad but to make you aware of what needs to be changed. Are you going to be faithful to Him when He doesn’t speak or are you so quick to run to someone for a word? Are you driven by your emotions or His word? Meaning if you get frustrated during this season. which you will , will you run back to the world and its ways or stay rooted and wait?
– When God begins to prune you and take away the things that aren’t good for you , we have to be willing to submit. God is sovereign over everything including the things concerning you. He cares so deeply for you that He says you’re more precious than rubies (Proverbs 3:15) , that you are in the palm of His hand and no one can take you out thereof (Isaiah 49:2)
3. You dictates how long it lasts
-God has the last say in everything but your obedience and faith allows Him to move on your behalf. For example if you’re murmuring (whining: Complaining) like the Israelites, this wilderness season will last longer than its supposed to. But if you ask God what it is that your supposed to learn and be obedient to what He expects from you it won’t take as long. Your obedience and faith is what allows God’s hand to move over your life. You can’t expect a breakthrough if you’re not working for it. Faith without works is dead.
4. This season is just as important as the seasons in the Glory of
– Just like how amazing it is when you’re growing and moving in God, it’s also as important to be In the season of wilderness. It’s great to evangelize and seek God when you’re on a high and doing the will of God. But This season is where faith is tested, Are
you really in love with God the Father or just how He makes you feel? It’s critical to withstand this season in the wilderness because this season is also where your faith is truly built. You have no choice but to depend on God and His word .DO NOT DESPISE THIS SEASON.
How to Endure The wilderness season
- Prayer and Fasting – we already spoke on prayer and what it is so now let’s speak on fasting. A lot of people dread the word fasting but this allows you to hear God more
clearly. – Fasting is when you don’t eat food for a period of time to seek Gods face. When you fast you are submitting your flesh to God’s will, you become more sensitive to the spirit .This is the best way to get rid of distractions because your not going to so focused on your five senses.
Joel 2:12-13 – 12 “Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” 13 Rend your heart
and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.
- . READ YOUR WORD
People love to get super spiritual and mystical with this which is not really necessary . For instance “oh I want to hear God audibly speak to me” I want to FEEL Him” but often times they forget that this is one of the most sacred ways in which He speaks to his children. many times people complain that they can’t hear the voice of God or that He isn’t listening to them but are you even opening His word to know what He’s saying?
– when you allow yourself to know TRUTH which is based on His word Satan can whisper lies to you
– just reading His word breaks paradigms(mindsets) and sets you free. There is deliverance found in God’s word. So start off slow read through the gospels and get know who jesus is and
the price that He paid for you. Or if you’re dealing with soemthing at the moment there are plemty of bible studies online that can help.
P salm 119:105 – Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- Serve – continue to do the will of God and serve His people. Serve in His house (the church) , serve His people in the church and out, and begin to help your brothers and sisters in Christ through your prayers or just helping them in any form.
G alatians 5:13 – 13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free.
But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
There must be a cry in your spirit for God. It’s the same cry you feel in the moment of desperation. God is your father not just your God, He cares about your feelings, your thoughts and your wellbeing.
You’re allowed to go to His throne freely knowing that His love is unconditional and unwavering.
There are only two places that your soul goes after death and that’s Heaven or Hell. If you are not sure about where your soul will go after death say this prayer with me
Heavenly Father I know that I’m a sinner and that my sin separated me from you. On this day I confess you as my lord and savior. I break every tie to the world, the past and the devil. I’m saved I’m delivered Jesus did it. Amen.